Funding the trust with out-of-state property.

Imagine your primary residence is in the state of California. But you also have a second home in Idaho and a piece of unimproved land in Nevada. Your California lawyer created a trust-based estate plan and funded your primary residence into the trust. You want to make sure your Idaho and Nevada properties are included in the trust. What should you do?  

Steps for Funding the Trust with Out-of-State Property.

  1. Determine if your California lawyer is admitted to practice in Idaho, Nevada, or if anyone in the firm is admitted to practice in those jurisdictions.
  2. If so, they can handle preparing the deeds to those properties. 
  3. But what if neither you nor anyone in your firm can practice law in those states, then what? Your California lawyer might still be able to handle the funding. Many states allow ancillary probate proceedings where an executor was appointed in the decedent’s primary state of residence. This might allow the California attorney to handle ancillary probate proceedings where additional property owned by you is located in another state. To understand whether your California based attorney can do that requires an understanding of the rules of Idaho and Nevada. Not only will state rules apply, but the county where the property is located has its own set of rules.  
  4. An alternative is to secure an Idaho attorney to handle recording the property in Blaine County, Idaho and a Nevada lawyer to handle the property in Clark County, Nevada.

What You Need to Have Ready for the Lawyer.

  1. Copy of the deeds for all the properties. If you cannot find the deed, you can request a copy from the title company that handled the closing or the mortgage company that handled any refinance you might have done.
  2. If the deeds are not available, you can also provide the lawyer with the APN (parcel number) located on a property tax statement.
  3. If you own the property with someone else, be prepared to let the lawyer know who you co-own the property with and exactly how title is held e.g., joint tenancy, joint tenancy with right of survivorship, tenancy in common, tenancy by the entirety, community property. Don’t assume you know, look at the documents.
  4. If the lawyer handling property in another state, make sure they know the exact way title will he held.

Francine D. Ward
Attorney-At-Law, Author, Speaker

Follow Francine:

Don’t miss Francine’s Latest Blogs:

  • Publishing contracts
    Publishing contracts The publishing contract is an agreement that defines the relationship between an author and her publisher. Publishing contracts typically contain elements that speak to territory, rights, ownership, financial… Read more: Publishing contracts
  • What is a Habit?
    As we enter springtime, you may feel far away from your New Year’s resolution. That may be because of the success rate of NYE resolutions. In fact, January 17 is… Read more: What is a Habit?
  • Common Contract Mistake
    Common Contract Mistake #1.  Not Having Written Agreements with EVERYONE You Do Business With. Common contract mistake. Without question, the most common contract mistake is not having the terms of… Read more: Common Contract Mistake
  • AI and Patents
    AI and Patents. Understanding Patent Law in the Age of AI. Patents, along with Copyrights, Trademarks, Trade Secrets, and Rights of Publicity, are one of the five areas of practice… Read more: AI and Patents
  • Effective Goal Setting
    Setting Goals. It’s that time of year, time to plan for effective goal setting. A time when some of us start thinking about goals for the upcoming year. If you… Read more: Effective Goal Setting

Skip to content