Copyright Infringement. Curtis Jackson. 

Lawsuits on copyright infringement are on the rise and musicians are the first on the list get slapped with a lawsuit.
One such lawsuit came to conclusion in the 2nd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals last month. Queens rap mogul Curtis Jackson, aka 50 Cent, was victorious in a suit against him over his hit single “I Get Money,” which peaked at No. 20 on the Billboard Hot 100 in 2007.
The lawsuit was filed in 2010 by Atlanta rapper Tyrone Simmons, know as Young Caliber, which alleged that 50 Cent and his producers infringed on Simmons’ rights to use the instrumental for the song. Simmons claimed that he bought the instrumental of ‘I Get Money’ from the producer first and had exclusive rights.

Lawsuit Overturned.

The Second Circuit in Manhattan overturned the case due to the fact that Simmons had waited too long to file and the suit had exceeded its 3 year statute of limitations.
Jackson’s lawyer, David Leichtman, told reporters: “Today the Second Circuit Court of Appeals vindicated Curtis Jackson, aka 50 Cent, in a copyright case relating to his 2007 hit record ‘I Get Money.'”
And this is not the first time Jackson won a court battle. Back in 2011 in a Newark, NJ federal court, a judge dismissed a copyright infringement case against 50 Cent along with his record label, G-Unit.
The Preacher’s Son.
In this suit, Shadrach Winstead, the author of ‘The Preacher’s Son – But the Streets Have Turned Me Into a Gangster,‘ claimed that Jackson plagiarized his book. Winstead asserted that Jackson took elements of the book and used it in the 2009 crime drama film, Before I Self Destruct. The judge tossed the case noting that the book and movie did not contain any major similarities.
Copyright infringement cases truly reflect why it’s so important to take all of the necessary steps to protect what’s yours, especially if you’re a musician or author. And a copyright attorney can help you with:

  • Creating a copyrightable work.
  • Advise you about the need for proper notice.
  • Help you determine which form to use.
  • Help you decide whether you should actually register your copyrighted work with the US Copyright Office, and if so, how to go about doing it.
  • Help you in the event that someone is infringing on your copyright.

Until next time, I’m Attorney Francine Ward helping you protect what’s yours.
Feel free to join my conversation on FacebookFacebook Esteemableacts Fan Page, or my Facebook Law Page, you can also interact with me on my Twitter Esteemable Acts pageTwitter Law Page, or on LinkedIn.

Skip to content