[a PROPOSED] Congressional Reform Act.
The following has been attributed to Warren Buffet, and whether or not he said it, it is nonetheless BRILLIANT! If we passed such a law, I suspect many in Congress would have a different perspective on things. It’s one thing to talk about making social changes when you are not affected, it’s another situation entirely when you and your family must rely on the same systems that most Americans must rely upon.
- No Tenure / No Pension. A Congressman collects a salary while in office and receives no pay when they are out of office.
- Congress (past, present & future) participates in Social Security. All funds in the Congressional retirement fund move to the Social Security system immediately. All future funds flow into the Social Security system, and Congress participates with the American people. It may not be used for any other purpose.
- Congress can purchase their own retirement plan, just as all Americans do.
- Congress will no longer vote themselves a pay raise. Congressional pay will rise by the lower of CPI or 3%.
- Congress loses their current health care system and participates in the same health care system as the American people.
- Congress must equally abide by all laws they impose on the American people.
- All contracts with past and present Congressmen are void effective 1/1/12. The American people did not make this contract with Congressmen. Congressmen made all these contracts for themselves. Serving in Congress is an honor, not a career. The Founding Fathers envisioned citizen legislators, so ours should serve their term’s [sic], then go home and back to work.
PASS this on, TALK about it, SHARE it, ENCOURAGE others to take an interest. If each person shares this with a minimum of twenty (20) people, then it will only take three days for most people (in the U.S.) to receive the message. Maybe it is time.
Warren Buffet’s BRILLIANT idea for FIXING CONGRESS. If you agree with the above, pass it on. (See, the WSJ article)
Join my conversation on Twitter, Facebook, or in one of my LinkedIn Groups.