In this month’s AARP Magazine (May/June 2009) there is a great article titled, 50 Thrifty Ideas on pinching pennies. Here are a few of the great ideas:
- Hoard your Lincolns ($5 dollar bills, that is). Tuck as many as you can into a piggy bank.
- Request double-strength medication and take only half. You pay only one co-pay, for two times the meds.
- Trim/cut/color your own hair, or ask your spouse or a trusted friend to do it.
- Get free firewood — check with local tree servives for the exvess or trimmed branches.
- Shop in consignment stores–I’ve found many a great bargain in these stores around the country.
- Shop eBay.
- Keep track of EVERYTHING you buy
- Clean tile, tubs, counters with vinegar and/or shampoo.
- Request a loyalty discount from a vendor you patronize regularly
- Print your own greeting cards (Send out cards (https://www.sendoutcards.com/iplawyer)
- Learn a skill instead of hiring someone
- Swap stuff with a friend
Until next time, here’s to Protecting What’s Yours!