When we fight for honesty, we are making a deposit into the future. It’s an esteemable act – an investment that builds our self-esteem and offers an example for others to live by. It’s one simple (and FREE) action that you can take that leads to success and happiness.
Honesty is more than simply telling the truth:
- Identity – Honesty requires knowing who you are so that you can be the most real version of yourself.
- Integrity – Honesty requires being the same person no matter where you are who you are with. Integrity is who you are when no one is looking.
- Authenticity – Honesty requires clarity through authenticity. Being transparent leads to more fulfilling relationships and empowers us to live with openness and freedom.
You may think that at times, lying protects others. These lies are often called pro-social lies, lies we tell to make others feel good about themselves. The problem with this is that lying to benefit others robs us of the chance to make trustworthy relationships.
In fact, studies show that the practice of lying can actually deteriorate our health. Lying often exposes us to unnecessary stress and anxiety and can often lead to depression.
Even further, we may lie to ourselves when we fear the truth of self-awareness. However, it’s knowing and embracing the truth that helps us to see areas where we can grow.
Hopefully, this sweet and simple blog encourages you to pursue the truth, find confidence in self-awareness, and reminds you of the cost of lying. Being authentic, knowing who we are, and striving to live lives of integrity are the key principles to fight for honesty every day.
Until next time – fight for honesty and acknowledge others when they do the same!
Francine D. Ward
Book Francine as a motivational speaker at your next event!
Francine D. Ward
Attorney-At-Law, Author, Speaker
Don’t miss Francine’s Latest Blogs:
- Be StillFor many years, I diligently and faithfully read my daily meditations. I took my time while reading and digesting every single word, … But over the years, I became lazy … Read more
- Online ReputationEvery day, at least one of my clients comes to me wanting to know how to handle bad things said about them online—reputation management. You have several choices as to … Read more
- Great Leaders Take Responsibility for Their ActionsA good leader uses failure as a teaching tool. How? When we learn to use our failures as stepping stones to our successes, we are building our self-esteem through overcoming … Read more
- CyberbullyingCyberbullying has become a serious and dangerous trend. No longer just on the playground (although I'm not sure why we tolerated it there), but now it takes place in your … Read more
- Body Image. Mental HealthBody Image and Mental Health It’s a week into February. That’s about the time the gym starts emptying and people start pretending like they never made New Year’s resolutions at … Read more