Do you have a fabulous website that YOU created, with YOUR original content? Have you thought about protecting that website and its component parts? If you’ve not given much thought to the protection of your website, now is the time to change your thinking.
Your website, like your blog posts, books, articles, videos, screenplays, music, marketing materials other valuable content, in some cases can be protected by copyright.
Copyright for Website.
While the Copyright Office does not register websites, per se, it does allow you to register the copyrightable content that is on your website. For example, did you know that you can register the source code, the audio visual material (e.g., videos), text, and any visual content (e.g., cartoons, photos)? Don’t wait until someone has copied your website to take action. Register it with the US Copyright Office now.
In order to obtain a copyright registration for your website, here are some things to keep in mind:
- Your website content MUST be original,
- You (not your web designer) must own the content,
- If you handle the registration yourself, make sure you do it right or you won’t have a valid registration,
- Read Copyright Office Circular 66 carefully
- Make sure you use the correct form,
- Remember, update your registration whenever you make significant revisions to your website
Don’t miss Francine’s Latest Blogs:
- Trademark BenefitsBenefits of Trademark Registration. There are many benefits of trademark registration. The Lanham Act, the law governing trademarks in the United States, does not require that a trademark be registered. … Read more
- Trademark DurationHow long does a trademark last? A registered trademark, one registered with the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO), lasts forever—so long as certain post-registration formalities are performed. Oftentimes, … Read more
- What is a Trademark?What is a trademark? It is a source identifier. A thing we call a device that tells consumers where a product or a service originates from. A trademark can be a … Read more
- Trademark Protection.A protectable trademark protects strong marks. That process starts from the moment you consider a word, phrase, design, or name that you want to use as a trademark.
- How to Survive InflationSurviving High Inflation How to Survive Inflation. With inflation at a forty-year high, the rising cost of living is affecting everyone. While you may feel some distress as you watch … Read more