In late June of this year, the Safeguarding American Innovation Act was introduced to Congress with the charge to protect intellectual property from theft–specifically, international theft.
The proposal comes after an investigation that tracked American tax-payer money for a year, highlighting China’s involvement in a scheme to recruit U.S.-based scientists to siphon research and expertise for economic and military use.
The Safeguarding American Innovation Act, recently amended and approved by the Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee in late July, intends to fortify the “security and integrity of the United States scientific and research enterprise.”
Formed by a bipartisan group of lawmakers, the document addresses current loopholes in federal research funding processes, in addition to strengthening Department of Education foreign gift reporting protocols. Not only does the directive intend to thwart theft, but also implement criminal penalties, deny applicable visas, and increase disclosure requirements.
Senator Chris Coons voiced that in order to effectively compete with China, it is imperative that the United States strictly governs and protects American research and innovation. As of late, the act has received much support and praise, aside from some officials in the education sector that are concerned with its impact on foreign relations.
The bottom-line is that the Safeguarding American Innovation Act would protect U.S. research from international theft, cracking down on current tactics and penalizing those involved in China’s ill-placed recruitment plans.
Until next time, I’m Francine D. Ward, Intellectual Property attorney, keeping you up-to-date on how your hard-earned tax dollars are being protected.
Subscribe today for weekly emails – Your Work. Your Property. Your Dream. Protected.
Francine D. Ward
Attorney-At-Law, Author, Speaker
Don’t miss Francine’s Latest Blogs:
- Right of Publicity: Avoid Being Sued!Right of Publicity – Have you ever thought about using a living or dead person’s name, image, photograph, or likeness on your website, or in your book, song, or play? […]
- Thought You’d Like To See This: IRAs and Roth IRAsIndividual retirement accounts—whether in the traditional IRA or Roth IRA guise–are some of the most powerful retirement savings tools available to individuals. They offer the opportunity to plan and save for future […]
- Ethical AIGoogle. Ethics. Artificial Intelligence. Ethical AI. Yes, that’s right. An article on something other than COVID-19. Because while this year has been passing us by, life is still being lived, […]
- Thought You’d Like to See This: COVID-19 ChallengesCOVID-19 health challenges and accompanying anxieties are sweeping through the country. It makes sense. The disease is highly contagious, the symptoms can be disabling and the risk of death for those who […]
- Amazon Fights Knockoff ProductsEveryone loves a good dupe. Why pay $45 for that foundation when you can head to the drugstore and get something similar for $10? But what happens when the knockoffs […]