Gift Cards. Internet Marketing. Small Business Marketing.
- Are you thinking of putting together a gift card campaign?
- Have you ever offered a gift card for your products and/or services as a way to promote your business?
- Did you issue that card before 2010?
- Did your gift card have an expiration date?
- Have you refused to honor those cards for any reason within 5 years of issuance?
If you answered “Yes” to any of the above, you should STOP right now and consult an attorney knowledgeable in gift card law to determine how the rules apply to your specific situation. In the meantime, take a moment and review the Federal Trade Commission website (FTC) for an overview of some of the issues that internet marketing entrepreneurs must know. The most important thing to understand is that unless properly designed, a gift card program can cause you more problems than you can possibly imagine.
Many business owners who offer gift cards assume if no one redeems the card, they get to keep the money. Wrong! Another common mistake is believing that gift cards expire. Wrong again! Both federal and state laws apply to the use, creation, design, and management of gift card campaigns. Know the LAW!
I’m Attorney Francine Ward helping you protect what’s yours. Join my conversation on my Facebook Fan Page, Twitter Page, or one of my LinkedIn discussion groups.