What does behavior have to do with self-esteem?
Everything. Self-esteem comes from DOING Esteemable Acts–one baby step at a time!
Many people say, “Behavior does not define the person”. But I ask, if not your actions, then what defines who you are? If a person cannot be judged by how they behave—how they show up in the world—then how else should we judge them?
One of my mentors left a powerful legacy when he said, “We judge ourselves by our intentions, but the world judges us by our actions”. Then recently I found this wonderful piece that says it all for me:
“Watch your thoughts; they become your words.
Watch your words; they become your actions.
Watch your actions; they become your character.
Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.”
Self-esteem comes from DOING Esteemable Acts, and it’s an Esteemable Act to be conscious of your actions. Think about it like this – if you behave authentically, you’ll stay true to your values and be able to set realistic expectations for yourself and for others.
Behaving authentically means that you’re not afraid of the truth. Embrace the truth, embrace the hard thing – that’s the only way to overcome the hard thing. When we can look at a problem and determine that we cannot solve that problem on our own, we are then ready to find alternative solutions. Pretending that the mountain is not there leads to destructive behavior that denies the truth. Accept the mountain, and behave accordingly.
Take a look at your actions and ask yourself if you are facing reality. If you’re not – it’s never too late for a new beginning. Accept the hard thing, do the next RIGHT thing, and let your behavior change your world.
Until next time, I’m Coach, Author, Speaker Francine Ward helping you to change the way you see yourself. Feel free to browse my Esteemable Acts blog and/or join the conversation on my Esteemable Acts Facebook Fan Page.
Francine D. Ward
Attorney-At-Law, Author, Speaker
Don’t miss Francine’s Latest Blogs:
- Thought You’d Like To See This: SEP or SIMPLE?SEP IRA or SIMPLE IRA? My entrepreneurial clients are full of questions related to taxes. The most common one that I get is this: Is there something I can spend money […]
- The Law is NOT Fair to Fashion DesignersThe Law is NOT Fair to Fashion Designers.Sometimes justice is served—the guilty and/or liable party is made to pay for the wrongs they’ve done. And sometimes, the law is just […]
- Joint Ownership: Rules of the RoadAre you thinking about writing a book, creating materials for a presentation, or writing a song with another person? If so, you may want to read this first. Many people […]
- Right of Publicity: Avoid Being Sued!Right of Publicity – Have you ever thought about using a living or dead person’s name, image, photograph, or likeness on your website, or in your book, song, or play? […]
- Thought You’d Like To See This: IRAs and Roth IRAsIndividual retirement accounts—whether in the traditional IRA or Roth IRA guise–are some of the most powerful retirement savings tools available to individuals. They offer the opportunity to plan and save for future […]