What does behavior have to do with self-esteem?
Everything. Self-esteem comes from DOING Esteemable Acts–one baby step at a time!
Many people say, “Behavior does not define the person”. But I ask, if not your actions, then what defines who you are? If a person cannot be judged by how they behave—how they show up in the world—then how else should we judge them?
One of my mentors left a powerful legacy when he said, “We judge ourselves by our intentions, but the world judges us by our actions”. Then recently I found this wonderful piece that says it all for me:
“Watch your thoughts; they become your words.
Watch your words; they become your actions.
Watch your actions; they become your character.
Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.”
Self-esteem comes from DOING Esteemable Acts, and it’s an Esteemable Act to be conscious of your actions. Think about it like this – if you behave authentically, you’ll stay true to your values and be able to set realistic expectations for yourself and for others.
Behaving authentically means that you’re not afraid of the truth. Embrace the truth, embrace the hard thing – that’s the only way to overcome the hard thing. When we can look at a problem and determine that we cannot solve that problem on our own, we are then ready to find alternative solutions. Pretending that the mountain is not there leads to destructive behavior that denies the truth. Accept the mountain, and behave accordingly.
Take a look at your actions and ask yourself if you are facing reality. If you’re not – it’s never too late for a new beginning. Accept the hard thing, do the next RIGHT thing, and let your behavior change your world.
Until next time, I’m Coach, Author, Speaker Francine Ward helping you to change the way you see yourself. Feel free to browse my Esteemable Acts blog and/or join the conversation on my Esteemable Acts Facebook Fan Page.
Francine D. Ward
Attorney-At-Law, Author, Speaker
Don’t miss Francine’s Latest Blogs:
- Scams and Scammers – How Do You Know ?Four Signs of Scams 1. Scams and Scammers PRETEND to be from an organization you know. Scammers often pretend to be contacting you on behalf of the government. They might […]
- Wills and Trusts –They are ImportantWith over 600,000 people dead from CoVID related issues, having an estate plan is more important than ever. While most people have heard of wills and trusts, very few really […]
- Have You Thought of Setting Up a Non Profit?Contemplating forming a Non Profit organization or a Non Profit foundation? Considering qualifying as a 501(c)3 charity? 501 (c)4? 501(c)5? 501(c)6? 501(c)7? Other 501(c)? Not sure about the requirements? Let’s explore a few […]
- Scam Alert. Scammers are Out To Get You!IRS Scam Alert. Scammers seem to be targeting Americans at an alarming rate. I was the target of a scam attempt not too long ago. I received calls claiming to […]
- Consider Non Taxable Gifts in 2021Non Taxable Gifts not Included in Your Taxable Estate In this current political climate, it’s easy to be frightened away from making Non Taxable Gifts or tax-free gifts, medical payments, […]